In an effort to save energy and money, many people have begun to replace their old standard light bulbs with environmentally friendly energy saving light bulbs. But, did you know that these new light bulbs are so toxic that the environmental protection agency created an emergency protocol in the event that you break one.
When the energy efficient bulbs are broken, they release 20 times the maximum acceptable mercury concentration into the air than regular light bulbs. The bulbs can cause:
- Cluster Headaches
- Inability to concentrate
- Mercury is an extremely potent neurotoxin that is especially
dangerous to children and women who are pregnant. It is especially toxic
for the brain, the nervous system, liver, and kidneys. The
cardiovascular, immune, and reproductive systems are also at risk;
eventually leading to tremors, anxiety, insomnia, headaches, and
- They have potentially harmful cancer causing ingredients such as phenol which is mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid obtained from tar, and used in chemical manufacturing, Naphthalene which is a volatile crystalline compound produced by the distillation of coal tar, and styrene which is a petroleum byproduct.
Sources: ocregister / ocregister / naturalnews