People want love in their lives. People need love in their lives. As they walk down the aisle, people believe in “forever,” and they are firmly convinced their own marriages will last.
However, in modern society, divorce is no longer an uncommon event for once-happily married couples; it has become a way of life. In fact, not only are divorces more widely accepted than ever, but today, it isn’t unusual for individuals to be divorced more than once. While we increasingly have the freedom to select (and de-select) a partner without fearing the repercussions of societal stigma, divorce is still one of the most traumatic experiences a person might ever face.
Want to increase the chances of your marriage lasting? Consider these ideas:
1. They have good conflict management skills.
Whether the conflict manifests as a full-blown relationship meltdown or subtle tension bubbling below the surface, happily married couples address it. They tell their partners how they feel and what they would like, then they listen to what the other person has to say. Happily married couples manage conflict with empathy, open-mindedness and kindness.
2. They treat one another with respect.
Happily married couples understand their partners want to feel like the king or queen of the castle. They know how to treat royalty; with the honor and respect the partner not only deserves, but that was a promise of the marital union. Not only do happily married couples know how to be respectful, they are respectful–even when they are angry or have been wronged.
3. They support each other in achieving their dreams and overcoming their fears.
4. They get on the same page about money.
5. They allow each partner to have a life independent of the relationship.
6. They place their friendship as the highest priority in the relationship.
7. They remember everything is temporary.
8. They are optimistic, laugh and have fun.
May you find great happiness in your marriage.